Beginning in China...

Sunday, May 21, 2006

straight to the source

Well, I have decided to skip the sweat factory and go straight to the source....that is, the fabric and tailor street here in Wuhan. This street has a huge building full of fabric vendors, where the fabric is really cheap and the vendors are easy to bargain with. There are some posh-er looking shops along the street. Every place has unique fabrics, it was almost dizzying to be wandering around a maze of fabrics of any colour and texture you can imagine! 2 or 3 hours later (I lost all track of time in this fabric world), I bought a metre of fabric for about $1.5cdn (wait...maybe that's not such a great deal) to make a skirt. Then, I went to one of the more posh shops to get my skirt tailored. The best part was that I just flipped through a Chinese Vogue, pointed to a picture of a skirt and said "I want that" ....no problem! They took my measurements and cash and in 10 days I'll have my own unique skirt, made in China, hahaha. I'm planning to go back for a dress, maybe a business suit, maybe some capris, probably a nice top, maybe another skirt??! The possibilites are endless!! I'm taking orders for your own unique clothes, so send your measurements to me asap! Maybe this is my new business venture....eh Chineider!!

Some pics of interesting things in Wuhan:

A ridiculous amount of rain on the day we decided to go to Si Men Kou, a popular shopping street. It was coming down the stairs like a waterfall.


Kites along the Yangtze

My student, Ice, with another student's dog, Meme, bought off the street for 110yuan, about 15cdn.

2 of my saavy business students, Star Pan and Samson...their English is so-so, but you should hear them trying to wheel and deal (and wine and dine me at McDonald's) for some good marks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home