4 days in Wuhan
The funniest thing about China so far, besides the little babies with slits in the bums of their pants (from front to back), is that the Chinese choose their own English names. For example, my "boss" is Mr. Wonderful. My TA is Kitty. And some of my students names are Letitia, Kiwi, Milk, Snowy, Orange, Sea, and Fram.
I began teaching yesterday. I am teaching oral english (listening and speaking) to 1st year students. They have some grasp of English, some are incredibly smart and one boy knew we just had a new prime minister elected in Canada. For some reason, I am one of the lucky english teachers who works weekends!! The admin. staff here tell me that it is nice that I will make the sacrifice and teach class Friday night 7-8.40 and Saturday morning 8-11.40....should be interesting, most of you know I am NOT a morning person!
Since I've only been in Wuhan for 4 full days, I haven't done too much. The university I am at is in the "suburbs" but these 'burbs are nothing like the 'burbs in Canada. It is much dirtier out here and the way of life seems a bit more relaxed. I kinda like living in the more rural setting vs. the urban core. Myself and 2 other teachers explored downtown Wuhan on the weekend, even ate at McDonalds....they serve corn as side dishes at Mickey D's and at KFC, it's very odd but they love it. The pic below is of our 2nd Chinese meal that we somehow managed to order from a very confusing food court in Chicony mall (each dish came from a different food stand and luckily all tasted delicious). It all cost about $3cdn.....for 2 of us!

Street vendors are a VERY popular place to eat at. If you think street meat is bad, you can't imagine what the street meat is like here! Basically someone will set up their shop on some makeshift table of buckets and wood, then they will have one big wok sitting over a flame and will fill it half full of oil. They will add whatever you point to, but they use their hands, and their hands are disgusting. They will grab raw meat and vegetables with their dirty hands! My favourite (and only) street vendor to eat at is one where the man dresses in a suit. And when he is not there, his son of about 16 will wear his father's suit and cook. A huge dish of fried rice that can easily feed 2 people costs about 50cents Cdn from the man in the suit. The pic below is street vendors in downtown Wuhan and is always busy.

In Chicony mall, kids were gathered around here to catch nice big gold fish and small turtles. The little guy in the front was trying very hard to (unsuccessfully) catch fish using that colourful pole.

This is the university I am teaching at. This is also the building I am teaching in....it might look nice however it is the oldest building on campus and the classrooms definitely prove its age. Also interesting.... the washroom stalls do not have doors and the toilet is a hole in the floor with grips at the side for your feet. Lovely!

My first days in Wuhan had me fighting the worst possible cold you can have. An American teacher took me to a pharmacy to get some drugs for my sickness. He called his Chinese friend who then text messaged cold medicine in Chinese characters and we showed the person in the drug store who then gave me a box with 8 little vials of the sickest tasting shot you could ever imagine. I later found out from my TA Kitty that it is a good herbal remedy for colds. So here I am, sucking back Chinese herbal cold medicine from a vial. (The ceramic cat came with my room).


11 Comments:
Soo Lucky!
Too bad about the washroom facilities though! Is there a fitness life out there that many people use (gyms, programs...)?
Amy! baaaaaaaaaaam! camtoe represents here...remember dont eat the strange meats and dont fall in the holes. p.s remember not to stand up to tanks in a certain square (too soon?)
have a blast and some Chin Dao for me (green island)
Hey,
This is George, Nick's friend in Hong Kong. Hang in there, i go to mainland china sometimes, i know what life is like there. It'll be an interesting experience, enjoy it as much as you can. I don't know exactly which part of china you're at, but give me a shout if you need anything, or if you have a chance to visit HK. Good Luck
p.s. Chin Dao is a beer
Amy! I LOVE that you are doing blogger too! Thinking about coming to China just for the cold medication!! Sounds like u are having a good time- Miss you very much :-)
Susan
you got me at a computer which is quite a trick. enjoy seeing the pics. keep it up and this could become a nightly ritual which kind of scares me. hope you have great fun there. did the herbal treatment work? elsie may
bonjour, angel
finally got the ~!@#$%^ machine up
and going. threatened dire things
to reproductive area of installer
unless i could get back on the web.
seems to have worked. all i have to
do is get gramma to learn how to
run this part. sounds like you're
having a magnificent learning
experience. just remember to keep
your mind active! ...gramps...
naps, good work. scott
website looks great, glad your having a good time. sarah
Great blog Amy I am checking for new pics and stories every day
Hi Amy
Despite Elsie May's positive computer comments she is now getting mad at our computer because it will not let her send you any messages. I think she tried at least three times and her message didn't show up.
So tonight Elsie May said I should try.
See if this works.
PS
Last weekend we did a Google Earth tour of Wuhan. Can you post your approximate location in Wuhan?
Uncle John
Hi Amy. First I'd like to congratulate you on your adventure. It must be quite exciting. Jamie sent me your blog and I'll be following it with great interest as I have been infatuated with China's growth as a world power. I've been reading about China in the Globe and Mail for quite awhile now. Chna's insatiable appetite for raw materials is astounding, as it's population demands more and more goods. Goods, we in North America take for granted.
I'm curious if the middle class in China is really started to reap the benefits? Do they have access to American media? Do they crave for the latest gizmo?
Lots of questions, but for later.
Take care of yourself, but enjoy your adventure.
Hi Amy
Thank you for the "X". Elsie May had to help me find it, my eyesight is slightly red deficient. Now I can zoom in on Google Earth.
Certainly is a lot of water in your part of town. What is the maze of odd shapes that appear to be water on either side of your location.
Guess what?
The Chinese medicine in little bottles from your photo, we found it Saturday at Country Bulk in Stratford. Small bottles like your picture complete with a small plastic straw. Some kind of Ginseng mix, which was the only kind they were selling, lady at the store said it was to give one energy.
Uncle John
Post a Comment
<< Home